Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tomorrow!

So I have finally created my blog as promised...
I just want to begin by saying that I apologize in advance if it takes me a long time to update blogs or if updates are very sporadic because I don't know yet how often I will be able to get online/what the wi-fi situation will be like. But I will do my best!

Tomorrow is the big day.  It is really starting to hit me that I will be getting on a plane tomorrow and within hours be on a completley different continent, for 4 months not knowing a single person...yet.  My packing is nearly complete, which is a huge step for me, with my bags just barely under the 50lb. weight maximum.  I have also been checking the weather conditions for at least the first week I will be there and the average temperature will be around 90 deg. with at least 75% humidity...oh my.  Yeah that will definitely be a change from the 20-30 degree weather I have gotten used to, what up equator!

I have mentally been preparing for this for months and I am feeling both excited and nervous for what God has in store for me this semester.  Although it is a scary thing to put myself on a completely different continent and be immersed in a largely foreign culture, I have faith that this it is where I'm meant to be and I can't wait to be pushed beyond my comfort zone and hopefully grow in ways I can't even imagine yet.

When I tell people I am studying abroad in Ghana I have been met with mixed reactions ranging from "thats awesome!" to "Ghana?" (where I must then explain that Ghana is a country in Africa).  I know some people may wonder why I chose Africa, well....I have had a desire to go there for years as I have always been fascinated by the people, the culture, and the beauty of those two things (and being in a place where people actually get excited when I talk about soccer is def. a plus).  I also have felt a strong desire to help those around the world who are less fortunate than me because I have realized how incredibly blessed I am.  And although I go into this situation wanting to help and volunteer as much as possible, I also acknowledge the fact that just because I am an American doesn't mean that I know anymore or am above anyone in Africa or around the world.  I have a feeling I will be learning a lot more from the people I meet than I could ever dream of offering them.

I hope this wasn't too long or boring...until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment